From the We Make Websites blog
Here are the steps to put your new Shopify store live on a domain name:
1. Add the new domain in Shopify
In Shopify, go to Sales Channels > Domains > Connect existing domain and then paste in the domain you want to connect.
2. Update DNS records
Login to your domain registrar and make the following changes to the DNS records: Replace the @ or main A record with the following IP address: 18.104.22.168
Add or replace the www CNAME with storename.myshopify.com (i.e. your store Shopify link without the http bit, which you can find on the domains settings page)
3. Remove any storefront passwords
In Shopify, go to Sales Channels > Preferences > Password protection > untick enable password.
Otherwise, no one will be able to access your site even once it's live.
4. Set as the primary domain if it is relevant
Whilst in Sales Channels > Domains, you can set your primary domain.
Ensure that you also check the 'Redirect all traffic to this domain'. This means that traffic to all other domains will be directed to your primary domain. This is crucial for good SEO.
5. Adding other domains
You can repeat steps 1 and 2 with other domain names you own. All domain names will redirect to the 'primary' domain, which you can change at any time with the 'Set as primary' option next to each domain name.
Note that the number of domain names you own has no influence on SEO.
What 3 things should I check on the day of launch?
The last things you should check, just before you set your site live are:
- Do a final content check for copy errors or missing images, be sure you are making the best first impression.
- Check all links across the site are working and there are no 404s, we suggest using brokenlinkcheck.com which will scan your whole store.
- Any active coupon codes from the old store need to be set up on the new store, or any promotion launch codes you have created.
Contact us today and we can chat about what we can do for your brand.